"We've chose to cancel the release of (reality series) Scare PewDiePie Season 2 and we're removing the PewDiePie channel from Google Preferred", a Youtube spokesperson said in a statement released Tuesday. The latest of said shenanigans was a video of him paying a pair of men to hold up a sign saying "Death To All Jews", bit him referencing Hitler and Nazis aren't uncommon in his videos either.
Felix Kjellberg, better known as PewDiePie, is a 27-year-old Swedish man who last year earned $15 million from YouTube videos of himself playing and talking about video games. The second season had been confirmed, but no release date had been set.
According to Kjellberg, he was trying to show, through the videos, how "crazy the modern world is", putting emphasis on some services that are available online. Additionally, the company will also delist him from Google Preferred, an advertising service that allows brands to tap content from the platform for their ads. The specifics of their relationship, while undisclosed, presumably aids Kjellberg in the business side of things - including merchandise, video production, creation of other content - in return for a share of his profits. "Kjellberg will still be able to run ads against his videos, but will likely see a drop in revenue", the site reports.
"Although Felix has created a following by being provocative and irreverent, he clearly went too far in this case and the resulting videos are inappropriate", a representative for Maker Studios said in a statement. "Maker Studios has made the decision to end our affiliation with him going forward". Maker contracts with individuals such as Kjellberg to produce videos for various YouTube channels.More news: Many debuts at 11th edition of Aero India
The videos have already led to Disney's Maker Studios canceling its deal with Kjellberg on Monday.
A prominent YouTube star has lost a lucrative contract after The Wall Street Journal pointed out a series of anti-Semitic jokes and Nazi-related images in his videos.
"I think of the content that I create as entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary", he continued.
"I make videos for my audience". He affirmed that he does not promote or support such hate-based groups. Although he admitted the jokes were ultimately offensive, he said that it was not his intention. His channel is now the most popular on the video site and his videos usually get millions of views.