A fatal fire in Pennsylvania that killed a three-year-old girl has prompted a federal investigation after officials blamed a charging hoverboard for sparking the blaze.
Since that fire on Friday, people have come by the house in the 2500 block of Lexington Street in Harrisburg's uptown neighborhood to leave stuffed animals, candles, and flowers on the porch.
DeVoe, a married father, and 21-year veteran with Harrisburg Fire Department, was driving back to the station to pick up his gear when the driver of the stolen auto smashed into him. The commission says the lithium ion battery packs can overheat and, in some cases, start smoking, catch fire or explode. The fires have been linked to Chinese counterfeit batteries that were not UL certified. "We have licensed to 30 factories, but only a few follow our rules", Ying told Fortune. New safety standards were sent out to manufacturers, retailers and importers. Major airlines banned the boards, citing the fire danger.
The brand of hoverboard tied to the Harrisburg fire was not identified.More news: Sheriff: Florida man burned store to run 'Arabs out of our country'
Three girls were rushed to a local hospital and later transferred to Lehigh Valley burn center in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where Ashanti tragically died, PennLive reports. Two other girls who were also in the home during the fire are now in critical condition. A male and a teenage boy were also taken to hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation and later released.
A 3-year-old girl, Ashanti Hughes, was trapped inside the house, Enterline said. "The pain is deep". I'm so hurt. My soul is hurt'.
A firefighter also died while responding to the blaze.
Dennis Devoe was passing through an intersection on his way to the scene of a major structure fire Friday night when the crash occurred, according to ABC7.com. She faces several charges, including vehicular aggravated assault, driving without a license, providing false information and receiving stolen property.