Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel upset with UEFA's handling of bus attack

Speaking at the post-match press conference after Borussia Dortmund's defeat to Monaco, Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel was highly critical of the UEFA's decision to reschedule the game for Wednesday night. "The decision to play the match was made in agreement with clubs and authorities", it said. "But in all parts of life we can only give 100 per cent and I'm sure everyone is doing this to give you the best security you can have".

He said: 'We were informed by text message that UEFA was making this decision, a decision made in Switzerland that concerns us directly.

"I saw the game and I was really proud of Borussia Dortmund, how they handled it, how they created this atmosphere". "We never received any information which suggested any team did not want to play". "We do not want to use the situation as an excuse", he added.

"We saw a lot of times on TV and it was far, far away - even when it was in Istanbul in my country on New Year's Eve, it was close but also very far from us".

Nobody was killed but defender Marc Bartra was hospitalised with a broken wrist after he was hit by broken glass. "Each player had the right to start with a somewhat queasy feeling". We spoke to the people in charge if there was anything that could have been changed about that, because none of us wanted to play today, which I think everyone can understand.

"We think about them (Dortmund) of course but we have to carry on and that will happen".

Bild said prosecutors were also investigating two additional suspects in the attack, one a neo-Nazi sympathiser and another from a radical leftist group. Who will blame us for that?

More news: Stockholm truck attack: Uzbek suspect an asylum seeker facing deportation, police say

Apart from Bartra, who would have been suspended for an accumulation of yellow cards anyway, Dortmund is struggling with injuries - there was one spot free on the bench against Monaco because of a lack of available players.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos suggested he felt Dortmund players had been treated like "animals", while Monaco boss Leonardo Jardim admitted it was hard for the players to concentrate as his side secured a 3-2 victory.

"The team has shown an incredible character", added Tuchel. "We have won the second half, the spirit in the second half was great".

BVB coach Thomas Tuchel was furious about having to play the match, saying he and the team were left with "a feeling of impotence".

But Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said Tuesday that a congested calendar meant there was little option for postponing the game further.

"We produced a good result but it's only half-time of the quarter-final".

But the Turkey global, who came on as a second-half substitute in their 3-2 loss, admitted football was far from his mind.

Edition: