Stockholm truck attack: Uzbek suspect an asylum seeker facing deportation, police say

The suspect for the truck attack in Stockholm that killed four people on Friday is a rejected asylum-seeker from Uzbekistan who had been running from authorities for more than a month, police said Sunday.

The suspect, who has only been officially identified as a 39-year-old man from Uzbekistan, "applied for a permanent residency permit in 2014", Police chief Jonas Hysing Hysing said.

Police commander Jonas Hysing told the paper "we do not know where they are, so we cannot enforce expulsion", speaking of the many migrants who should be deported from the country but the government keeps no records of their whereabouts.

A former co-worker of Akilov contacted by Reuters said Akilov had never expressed any religious views and also said that the man he shared a flat with near Stockholm was said to be "devastated" to hear Akilov may be responsible for the attack.

Another person was arrested as "suspected of terror crimes through murder", said Karin Rosander, spokeswoman for Sweden's prosecutors office. She did not give further details about the new suspect.

Another five people were being held for questioning after raids and police said they had conducted about 500 interviews.

Four people are confirmed to have died in the attack; two Swedish nationals - one reported to be an 11-year-old girl, a British man and a Belgian woman.

Two Swedes were also killed in the attack, and 15 people were wounded.

"We talk, we don't fight", Marianne said just a stone's throw from where the lorry mowed down shoppers before slamming into the facade of a popular department store, killing four people and injuring 15.

Papusa Ciuraru, whose foot was crushed by a boulder displaced by the speeding truck, told the Expressen daily "I thought everyone would run past me and save themselves".

More news: The iPhone of cars? Apple enters self-driving vehicle race

A woman and an 11-year-old girl from Sweden were killed in the attack, as well as a 41-year-old Briton who worked for Spotify and a Belgian woman.

The truck was stolen minutes before the attack during delivery at a restaurant. It said its motivation "was born out of the idea of standing up for transparency and not allowing evil forces take control of our lives".

The store said it would reopen today "without any damaged goods".

Norwegian's security agency said it wasn't clear if the teen planned to carry out an attack with the primitive homemade device police defused without any injuries.

"They put Stockholm under lockdown quite quickly", Brun said in a phone interview.

Another person has been arrested in connection with the attack, a Swedish court official said.

Stockholm seemed to be returning to normal slowly Sunday.

The Ahlens department store apologized "for a bad decision" in a statement on its Facebook page.

There was no evidence to suggest any further attacks.

People lay flowers at a memorial ceremony in Stockholm.

Edition: