Facebook killer takes his own life as police close in

Pennsylvania State Police said Stephens, the suspect in the random killing of a Cleveland retiree posted on Facebook, shot and killed.

Police said they found Stephens after a tip off that his vehicle was in a McDonald's auto park.

Facebook slaying suspect Steve Stephens was undone by a 20-piece Chicken McNuggets and an order of fries. Authorities say Stephens then shot and killed himself.

The family of his victim, 74-year-old Robert Godwin, had publicly urged Stephens to turn himself in.

People quickly took to Twitter, saying that the workers deserve the $50,000 reward for finding and helping lead police to Stephens Tuesday. He shot himself in the head after the auto spun and came to a stop, police said.

In a statement on Monday, the company said the video of the shooting death uploaded by Stephens had been on its site and smartphone app too long and that it was launching a review of how objectionable material is reported and taken down. She said the chase slowed suddenly from 50 miles per hour to about 20 miles per hour when the road narrowed from four lanes to two.

Gail Wheeler, of Erie, said she was stopped at a light at the McDonald's when Stephens came "whipping out" of the parking lot, almost hitting her.

More news: Mumbai Indians thrash Kings XI Punjab by 8 wickets

By the time he pulled out of the driveway and onto Buffalo Road, state police were behind him, DuCharme said.

PSP troopers immediately began to canvas the area for Stephens and located him in his vehicle a short time later.Troopers in marked patrol units initiated a pursuit that lasted approximately two miles. His auto did a half-turn and came to rest against the curb, and she heard a gunshot, she said.

"The next thing I know, they're approaching the vehicle".

(Cleveland Police via AP, File). "They had their guns out but when he shook his head, they lowered their guns".

In the video, Stephens told Godwin the name of his girlfriend and said, "She's the reason that this is about to happen to you".

The woman, Joy Lane, told WJW-TV in Cleveland that she last talked with Stephens on Saturday night, when he told her he had quit his job and was moving out of state.

Godwin, 74, was shot and killed by Stephens on E. 93rd Street Sunday morning.